Recycled Polyester - we give plastic a second chanceAlmost half of the world's clothing is made of polyester - and more than 70% of crude oil is used to make synthetic fibers. The rest can be found, you can already assume, in plastic bottles as we use them every day. It is widely known that oil production and processing has a gigantic share in global warming. This is precisely why Textile Exchange called on the global players in the fashion industry several years ago to significantly increase their volume of Recycled Polyester. So it goes without saying that we also offer it - in a few selected fabrics.
- € 21.40 / m As low as € 19.59 / mIncl. 16% VAT
Why Recycled Polyester?
Recycled Polyester, also known as rPET, is produced by melting down old plastic. It is then spun to form a new polyester fibre. Five conventional plastic bottles are sufficient to produce an XL size T-shirt.
- Plastic is not biodegradable - we all know that. The landfills and oceans are already full of it, and if we want to prevent more plastic than fish from being in the sea in a few decades' time, we have to act differently now! In this respect, Recycled Polyester is an important step towards breaking out of the vicious circle.
- Recycled Polyester is almost as good as 'real' polyester, but more ecological in its production. It uses around 60% less energy and also helps to prolong the life of landfills - the more recycled, the less landfill.
- In our Recycled Polyester category you will find recycled fabrics made from yarns certified according to the Global Recycling Standard (GRS). All raw materials are 100% recycled fibres.
- Our fabrics are not made of 100% Recycled Polyester, but also contain organic cotton - perfect for getting to know the new material in small steps and still doing something good!